We know that choosing between external software developers can be difficult, and that it is very much a question of confidence. Our clients have almost always similar queries which concern our approach, experience, work quality, competences, security, workflow, and people.
We decided to recap Q&A and divided them into three parts:
Quality & Security, People, and Cooperation.
If you are considering to start cooperation with external software houses, feel free to ask them for any of questions below. We hope that our FAQ will be helpful for making a decision who should develop your project.
Quality & Security
Every small piece of system functionality developed by SoftwareMill is covered by automated tests. In addition to low-level tests, we maintain a set of high-level "acceptance" tests. The latter verify whether the product works properly from a client’s perspective - and are automated as well, in order to get rapid feedback that everything works as expected after changes in the code.
We will have an automated tests simulating "clicking" through your web application.
Moreover, our developers review each other's code to maintain an optimal internal design, avoid mistakes. SoftwareMill’s approach reduces overhead costs, minimizes project failures, and removes uncertainties.
- Our teams usually uses:
- Git - a flexible source control system
- IntelliJ IDEA - the best Scala/Java development environment
- TeamCity, Jenkins - for continuous integration and testing
- Trello, Jira - agile project management tools
- Confluence - an enterprise wiki for documentation and knowledge sharing
- GitHub, Stash, Codebrag - tools for code reviews
and many others... The set of tools depends on the team. Self-organization of teams and years of (commercial) experience allow us to work efficiently, even in new fields. We often consult and advise our clients on the best-fit technology in their projects.
We joined the due diligence program of Digital Knights. Only 7% of all tech teams meet the benchmarks required to join the Digital Knights network, get their recommendation and an invitation to cooperate. You can check the final report for more details.
SoftwareMill is among the top 5% of all teams screened by Digital Knights experts.
Moreover, SoftwareMill has been highlighted in The Clutch Global Leader Report, in BI & Big Data Analytics category.
We're trustworthy and confident in our expertise and experience. We offer you a free 2-week trial sprint.
If you’re satisfied at the conclusion of the trial period - we will continue working together. If not - you are free to move on.
- We have cyber-insurance for more than 2M $. Our organizational model minimizes the occurrence of all kinds of risks associated with the process of software development:
- Flat organization structure - all problems are solved jointly by the project team, not by the managers above, reducing communication overhead
- Up-to-date IT equipment and tools - with secured access on several levels (e.g. two-factor autentication)
- Remote organization - localized power or Internet connectivity failure will never affect the entire project team
- Infrastructure in the Cloud - we use systems which perform regular back-ups and provide professional support
- Implementation of projects using agile methodologies - applications are developed in short iterations, each culminating in a demonstration of tangible results given to the customer.
SoftwareMill provides experienced development teams (software engineers, quality analysts, designers, business analysts, DevOps) to its clients in order to understand, design, and implement the clients' needs.
We hire only senior developers from Poland. They are fully equipped with experience and knowledge to solve every challenge fully independently.
The people who are going to work on the project are exactly the ones that the client meets, and you can read about each of us on the team page. We do not cooperate with anonymous subcontractors.
We gather knowledge and experience both from inside the company and from the outside (e.g. through conferences or meet-ups).We keep track of what we have learned in our common wiki and we regularly (every Friday) share what we have learned recently. The most interesting experiences are later discussed in our monthly knowledge sharing meetings.
We also provide our own software:HRoBOT, TuPrawnik, Codebrag, UpdateImpact.
We are committed to many open-source projects, either as leaders/founders or contributors: Hibernate Envers, Reactive Kafka, MacWire, phantom, ElasticMQ, Apache Struts - and many others. The full list is available on our website.
Moreover, we are involved in developing the second Polish cube satellite developed by students of the Warsaw University of Technology: the PW-Sat2 project.
Most of us are active bloggers or community members - see our blog and conferences pages. We have delivered so many presentations at various conferences that we already lost count (we presented 63 times in 2016, statistically more than once each week!).
Several members of the SoftwareMill team are (co-)leaders of Java User Groups (Warsaw JUG, Szczecin JUG, Zielona Góra JUG).
We have organized four editions of Scalar, the biggest international conference on the Scala Language in Central Europe.
We are also a member of the Polish Space Industry Association.
We usually set up a Slack or Skype chat with the team and the client, so it is usually just a matter of asking about progress.
The client also has full access to our project management tools (or we use the client's tools). There, the client can check out the progress on the iteration or project level.
At least once every two or three weeks we demonstrate a working version of the product with fixes and/or improvements.
Of course, we adjust our process to meet the particular needs of each client.
No worries at all. Good test coverage allows us to safely make changes in the project. With the Time&Materials approach there is no need to renegotiate a contract or submit a formal Change Request.
Sure thing. Just let us know and we will get you in touch with people who already trust SoftwareMill.
You can also check out what our clients say about our services on Clutch.
- Offering development from Poland, EU - highly-skilled and motivated developers, with a good command of English, able to visit clients' offices if needed;
- Providing a small, efficient team  of experienced backend & frontend developers, able to shift focus in a very agile way;
- Cooperating very closely with your business - integrated into our company culture;
- Partnerships with:
Lightbend - as a Select System Integrator,
Datastax - as a Consulting Partner,
Confluent - as a Consulting Partner.
We take care of the complete project development process, always keeping in mind that we want to develop maintainable, working software that brings real value to our clients.